Unmarked graves

• Tuesday, August 31, 2021 8:14 AM
    Reply # 10971555 on 10959102
    Anonymous

Thank you Michelle, sadly we have sent notifications, yearly for the past 4 years, added new signage that includes the Ordinance we have had in place and we aren't present, due to time constraints, during the opening & closing but the notification would prompt for myself to verify the plot area/vacancy, validity of interment and a record with a photo and supporting docs. the proposed interment location. It's good to know we aren't in this alone so we surely will find a solution! Continue to have an outstanding day!

• Monday, August 30, 2021 11:20 AM
    Reply # 10969139 on 10959102
    Anonymous

I am having the same issue here.  I am going to send out our cemetery rules to all the local funeral homes and touch base with them about interment.  We now require that City staff be on site when there is an opening or improvements so we can confirm they are in the right place and it is the right size.  Sometimes they put the coping on the outside of the cemetery plot which means they are intruding on the next plot.  Other than sending the rules out and touching base with the funeral homes, we will be installing signage at the entrance.  Not sure how this will work especially since we have very few interments each year.

• Thursday, August 26, 2021 4:25 PM
    Message # 10959102
    Anonymous

Good avening all! Would anyone have some guidance about trying to address unmarked interments? I have been having some issues with Funeral Homes interring without contacting the city first and if a family doesn't have the grave marked, I am unaware of whom is there. Not very good for one of my roles as Records Manager! I contacted the funeral home that interred the individual that is next to the unmarked grave but they were of no help. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks & stay safe!

Upcoming events

• No upcoming events

Recent forum updates

Blog posts

"Georgia Municipal Cemetery Association" is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization. Georgia , 330 Bonaventure Rd., Savannah, GA 31404